by Randy Thom, C.A.S.
When an artist does work that seems innovative, we say that he or she has created something. The more I think about the process we call "creating," the more I'm convinced we use the wrong word to describe it.
Articles on film sound usually stay clear of questions as basic as "What is creativity?" and "Is it possible for an artist to become more creative?"
Questions like these are usually considered too messy, or too abstract and subjective. I appreciate those arguments, and don't discount them. On the other hand, I think we do know a few things about being creative. One theory is that each of us is given a bag of creativity at birth, and that the bag doesn't grow or shrink much for the rest of our lives. But even if our bag of creativity doesn't change in size, our ability to dip into it varies constantly. Ask any artist or performer.
I have been thinking about creativity a lot lately. About pushing my creative limits and how I can apply creativity into other parts of my life not just "crafty" stuff. I feel like I am pushing myself to the limits but creatively is there a limit? Can one continue to reach into their bag of creativity forever?
I have been trying to find creative ways to balance my life right now. Things are a little like that game "topsy turvey" were you add one thing on at a time and hope it doesn't spill to the ground! I know in time things will balance out but right now I am kind of having fun with this balancing game, as crazy as that sounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment