Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11 and how it changed my life



September 11, 2001-

I woke up to my Dad knocking on my door "Amanda you need to come see this." I ran out into the kitchen and sat down to see that one plane had hit the World Trade Center. I couldn't believe it. What was going on? I knew this was no accident. I could tell this was only the beginning of something bigger. I sat in silence with my Dad watching what was going on when the 2nd plane hit. I broke down in tears! This was crazy and I didn't know how to feel. At the time I was working for For Every Body in the Provo mall. I had to get to work by 10:00 so i hurried to shower and get ready. I grabbed my journal and ran out the door. Every radio station was covering the events. I got to work, opened the shop and looked around. No one was there! I wanted to go home. I was scared. Most places were sending their employees home and I just did not want to be in an open public area. Who knew what would happen after seeing what seemed to be from a movie. I called Jason who was my boyfriend at the time and asked him to come down to be with me. I turned on the radio at work to listen to what was going on. Writing in my journal and listening to the radio is how i spent the next few hours. They let us go home about 1:00 because the mall was empty. Every store had closed up shop so we were safe to as well.


September 11, 2011-

I had no idea how this event would change my life today. Every single year we would remember, mourn and cry with those that lost loved ones. Jason's brother was out fighting in Operation Freedom for many of those times. On September 21, 2010 I got to witness two men dressed in uniform come to my Mother in laws door and deliver the worst news i think anyone could hear. Matt died fighting for our freedom. He was trying to find the horrible man who attacked us so many years ago. Just months after his passing they found the horrible man he tried so hard to find. Ten years ago I had no idea how hard that single event would hit our family. Today as we look back and remember those THOUSANDS of brave men and woman who lost their life on that horrible day, I hope we can remember how we felt on September 11, 2001 and continue to strive to be the best we can be, to hug and kiss our loved ones just a little bit more and to not take a single day for granted.

2 comments:

chloƩ said...

Amanda.. Sean and I just read this while waiting for stake conference to start.. Ill have to make this short but we just want you to know how much we love you and your family and how grateful we are to matt for serving our country. we are thinking about all of you lots today!

Matt and Tiffany Wagstaff said...

I love you so much, Amanda.