Tuesday, May 26, 2009

So proud of my little girl :)

My little girl goes to a school in Orem that is near my parents home. My parents live on a road that has no side walk and is narrow. Makayla's bus stop is on that rode just right in front of my parents home. My mom drops her off at the stop and is there when she gets off the bus. On Thursday of last week my mom told me this little story-

The bus usually comes about 1/4 to 4 and at 4 there was still no sign of the bus. My mom was getting concerned so she was about to get into the car to go find her at the school. She looked down the road and saw my little girl walking, red faced and out of breath. Makayla told her that her bus driver's bus broke down so they had to get onto another bus. The bus driver thought it would be an okay idea to drop all the kids on her route off at a church about a mile away from her bus stop. The driver asked all of the kids on Makayla's normal bus route to get off and walk home. So Makayla did just that. She didn't sit there and cry or freak out she just did as she was asked AND she actually knew were to go. I am so proud of my little girl for just dealing with the situation and walking down the hill onto carterville road all the way to Grandma's house.

Okay now that I have mentioned how proud I am of my daughter, let me just make one thing clear I AM IN NO WAY IMPRESSED OR PROUD OF THE BUS DRIVER WHO THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO DROP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KIDS OFF 1 MILE FROM THEIR STOPS AND TELL THEM TO WALK HOME!!!! There are k-6th graders on that bus and that means 5 year olds. COME ON LADY! I was not impressed with this bit of info and my mom decided to investigate and make sure Makayla's story was correct and sure enough it was. So I got to call the head guy at the transportation office and complain. Does anyone think I am blowing this out of proportion? Had to get that off my chest, sorry to those that think I am just complaining :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I would be upset too! You should complain over that! The bus driver may not think its a big deal, but what if one of those kids got lost or kidnapped?? Man..I am glad she made it home okay! What a smart little girl!!!

Julia said...

Are you serious! I think that is insane. I know with the buses around where we live that the kids in K can't get off even at their regular stop without their parent waiting for them. I wonder how many kids could have gotten lost on their walk home from school. My goodness!

Anonymous said...

Amanda...if that was my kid walking home at 6 years old from a mile away!!! I WOULD FREAK!!! AND possible go find the bus driver and have a full on smack down!!!!!! That is unacceptable in many ways! Thank goodness that no weirdo tried to pick her up!

Robin

Bonnie said...

Are you KIDDING!?! That is absolutely ridiculous! That driver should be fired... Think of how many kids could have been seriously lost of hurt?? Don't hold back...

@manda said...

Lets just say I did make a phone call to the district and no that is not procedure and yes there will be "training" done so that NEVER happens again............phew if it does there will be a very angry daddy involved that will not hold back ;)

Bran..Brit..Jax..and Skylee said...

Bless her little brave heart! Heck yeah you better have called down there, I would have opened a can if that was Jaxon... But then again we do live in Vegas. Im so glad she is okay. What a good grandma as well!

Liz said...

Holy Cow! No bus driver should ever do that. That is terrible! I'm guessing they were dropped off at our church building? Poor Makayla. I'm glad she got to your parent's home safely.