Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Enjoy the journey

A few things I have been reading today but this talk really made me think. It is addressed to collage students and really doesn't apply to every single bit of my life but the lesson taught is a great one. one I needed desperately today. It is Lessons Learned in the Journey of Life By Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin *First, have faith in your Heavenly Father. He knows who you are. He listens to you when you pray. He loves you. He is mindful of you. He wants the best for you. I am guilty of forgetting this. I find myself often saying "why me? doesn't he love me?" and the answer is clear, YES and he loves you more then you can imagine. He does want what is best for you just not what you always want. "On one occasion President Thomas S. Monson, made this statement “There is a guiding hand above all things. Often when things happen, it’s not by accident. One day, when we look back at the seeming coincidences of our lives, we will realize that perhaps they weren’t so coincidental after all.” The Lord knows your trials. He knows your victories. And if you will “trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding [but] in all thy ways acknowledge him, … he shall direct thy paths” (Prov. 3:5–6). *Second, set righteous goals. Many things will compete for your attention as you pursue your course through life. There will be endless distractions. People and things will call to you, singing the siren songs of wealth, pleasure, and power. I am so guilty of this one probably more then others. I am constantly wanting and wishing for wealth, pleasure and power. I set goals but often forget to center those goals on Christ and trust in my Heavenly Father to help me reach those goals. I want this job for Jason so badly. The one that will take us away and bring us lots of money. Is it a righteous goal? I am not sure of that right now because honestly we haven't done a lot of praying regarding this exact placement offer and that needs to change. I will be making this a habit from now on. Writing my goals down, reading my scriptures and finding answers by prayer and reading. This should help me back on the right path I hope. "Do you think you can use the money you have earned in this life as currency in the next? Put your Heavenly Father first in your life. Commit to follow Him and obey His commandments and strive every day to become more Christlike. Focus your efforts on obtaining heavenly riches. To do otherwise will ultimately end in disappointment and sorrow." *Third, once you have established righteous goals, work with all your might to accomplish them. In the words of Elder David O. McKay (1873–1970) when he was in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Let us … realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love to work is success” (in Conference Report, October 1909, 94; emphasis in original). I am no stranger to hard work but I think sometimes I run circles because I haven't centered my life in Christ so I can't get my thoughts and actions organized. This has got to change. This is changing NOW. President Gordon B. Hinckley echoed that sentiment: “There is no substitute under the heavens for productive labor. It is the process by which dreams become realities. It is the process by which idle visions become dynamic achievements. “It is work that spells the difference in life. It is stretching our minds and utilizing the skills of our hands that lift us from mediocrity” (quoted in “Pres. Hinckley Shares 10 Beliefs with Chamber,” Church News, 31 January 1998, 3). *Forth, enjoy the journey. The people of God are a joyful people. We understand there are times for sobriety, reverence, and devotion; we also understand that we possess the joyful principles of eternal life. We have so much to smile about, be happy about, yes, even to laugh about. So many of us are always waiting to be happy. “If only I could graduate, if only I could afford a car, if only I could get married …” For too many, happiness is just over the horizon, never reachable. Every time we climb one hill, happiness beckons just beyond the next. It is a terrible thing always to be waiting for tomorrow, always depending on tomorrow, always excusing our todays because we are sure that only in the future will we possess the things that will fulfill us. Don’t wait for tomorrow. Don’t wait for the right job, the right house, the right salary, the right dress size. Be happy today. Be happy now. Abraham Lincoln said, “Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be” (in John Cook, compiler, The Book of Positive Quotations [1997], 7). Make up your mind to be happy—even when you don’t have money, even when you don’t have a clear complexion, even when you don’t have the Nobel Prize. Some of the happiest people I know have none of these things the world insists are necessary for satisfaction and joy. Why are they happy? I suppose it is because they don’t listen very well. Or they listen too well—to the things their hearts tell them. They glory in the beauty of the earth. They glory in the rivers and the canyons and the call of the meadowlark. They glory in the love of their families, the stumbling steps of a toddler, the wise and tender smile of the elderly. They glory in honest labor. They glory in the scriptures. They glory in the presence of the Holy Ghost. One thing I know for certain: the time we have here goes by far too quickly. Don’t waste any more time sitting on the bench watching life pass you by. Can I give you one other piece of advice? Be willing to laugh at yourself. When Elder Matthew Cowley (1897–1953) was first called into the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, President J. Reuben Clark (1871–1961) invited him into his office and counseled with him about his new assignment. President Clark was one of the great leaders and thinkers of the Church. He left a post as the United States ambassador to México to accept a position in the First Presidency of the Church. He was a man long accustomed to bearing the weight of heavy responsibility. enough said on that. I need to ENJOY THE JOURNEY! I am so lacking on so many things. I needed this talk to remind myself that I have things to work on and that the best part is I CAN! Always trying to be a better version of myself. One day I hope to reach it....

1 comment:

chloé said...

thanks for sharing this amanda. i needed it more than you know. hope you have a great day. love you!