Friday, July 11, 2008

Frugal Friday

One of the ways I have saved money is on groceries. I have found that it costs less if you plan ahead. For me, I come up with two weeks worth of meals. Then I break it all down on what I need and go to the store. This cuts down on how many times I go to the store each month. When you are not going to the store as often you tend to buy less because you are not impulse buying. Also, walmart is great because if you check your adds for other stores and bring those in they will price match. So no more going from one store to the next to get the best deal on items. Now I understand that this takes time! Most of us don't have the time to even cook a meal let alone come up with meals for two weeks. It is easy! Sit down with a piece of paper and write down as many meals as you can think of that your family enjoys or you cook a lot.

1. Be a bounty hunter. If your grocery store has a sale on ground beef (for example) and it's a great big package, buy it any way, and cut it up into sizes you'll use. Use the freezer-quality zipper-top bags. If you're going to go to all this trouble, you might as well have quality to eat when it's time to thaw!
2. Bigger isn't better. Don't automatically reach for the biggest package at the grocery store thinking you're getting the better deal.
3. Make mine a markdown. Check the back of the store for a markdown shelf. Not all stores have these, but some do. My market deep-discounts dented cereal boxes, and I save a small fortune that way. The products are still good, just the package is not.
4. Count your losses. Loss leaders (the cheap stuff they advertise on the front of the flyers they send out every week) are designed to get you into the door. That's fine, buy those things, but watch for the end displays in the store. They're usually NOT the loss leaders! Just regular merchandise. Don't be duped.
5. Grocery store smarts. Give yourself this quick test before leaving the house. Do I have my list? Is this a bad time to shop? (avoid rush hour and prime time at the grocery store) Can someone watch the kids? (no explanation necessary). Am I hungry? (you know what happens when you're hungry and you're shopping for food!). If you've passed the test, go to the bathroom, tuck your list into your pocketbook and GO!
6. Spice it up. Spices can cost a lot of money! I know that walmart has the Great Value brand and they are just as good. Adding spices to what doesn't look like a very interesting meal can really make it POP!!!
7. Take stock. If you tend to buy a lot of chicken noodle soup, go to Costco/Sam's Club and buy a case of it. You will save per can and you will have a start on stocking up your pantry.
8. Go bananas. If your bananas get a little too ripe, freeze them with the skins on. Later, peel them with a knife and throw them in a blender with a little milk, some fruit, some protein powder and you have a quick, power breakfast. Or just let the kids eat them for a delicious snack — especially in the summer.
9. Menus aren't just for restaurants. You MUST plan your meals. No plan spells disaster — you know that. When you have a plan you can avoid the horrible sound of "Mom, What's for dinner?". We eat out less when I have a plan. No more, I don't know lets just go to.........
10. Rubber chicken. This is the mother of all dollar-stretching recipes. You take one measly little chicken and turn it into three great meals (get it? rubber chicken?). Turn left over meat into next day's dinner! You can turn left over chicken into chicken soup etc.
Bonus tip: My freezer is my friend. In this day and age, the freezer is an extension of the pantry. Use it wisely! Get rid of the freezer-burned garbage, and feed it regularly with stuff you'll use. For example, does your family love your world famous meatloaf but you don't make it often because it's time-intensive. Make TWO or even three next time, cook them and freeze them (again — freezer-worthy bags only). And here's a nifty tip, use a Sharpie pen (the only pen that will hold up in the freezer without running) to mark the date and contents. To avoid losing your Sharpie, keep it tucked into the freezer bag box.
And while this is not on the list, I'd be negligent not to mention the ever-present fast-food draw. You simply must drop the drive-thru mentality. Yeah, it is easier just to grab something to go and you might not want to cook. But it's costing your family financially, not to mention health wise.

Wow that was a lot! If anyone got down to this part just know to have FUN while doing this and include your kids. They might be young but they are a big help!

1 comment:

Bran..Brit..Jax..and Skylee said...

WOW!You are amazing. I really am going to do all that you just said. I hate the words "What are we having tonight!" Jax would have fun helping me with everything, he is my huge helper! Your awesome!